Fire & Emergency Services Exploring Program at Leeds Fire & Rescue is open to young men and women ages 14 (and completed the 8th grade) and not yet 21 years old with an interest in learning more about careers in the field of Fire & Emergency Services.
Our explorer program is a hands-on program that exposes participants to many career experiences, leadership opportunities, and community service activities. The primary goals of the program are to help young adults choose a career path within fire and emergency services and to challenge them to become responsible citizens of their communities and country.
You will get to experience firsthand what it’s like to be a Firefighter provider through firefighting training & ride alongs during actual fire / EMS calls.
Nationally, over 22,500 Explorers participate in 1,754 Fire and Emergency Services Posts. The program highlights include: the National Fire and Emergency Services Exploring Conferences, ride-alongs, career achievement and proficiency awards, training scenarios, and scholarship opportunities.
You will develop:
- Leadership Skills
- Respect for firefighters & explorers
- New personal skills
You will learn:
- Emergency call protocols
- Firefighting policies & procedures
- Team Building
- Proper Equipment Usage
You will have an opportunity to participate in:
- Fire fighting training scenarios i.e. buildings
- Ambulance calls
- National & Regional Events / Competitions
You will have an opportunity to participate in hands-on projects to give you a real feel for whether this career is the right one for you.
You will learn about the educational requirements for a career in Fire & Emergency Service and will receive tangible advice on steps you could take now to prepare and position yourself for a successful career in the field of Fire & Emergency Service.
Fire & Emergency Service Career Exploring will provide you with the following benefits:
- Improved self-confidence
- Leadership experience and social network development
- Fun and Exciting “hands-on” career experiences
- Community service opportunities
- College & Career Readiness preparation
- Scholarship opportunities
When do meetings take place?
The Leeds Fire & Rescue Post typically meets on a monthly basis during the school year. Our program parallels the high school calendar and typically begins in the fall.
The Fire & Emergency Service Career Exploring program is very affordable with participation fees ranging from $15 to $25 per year. Special activities, events, leadership academies and conferences may cost more and would be determined by the local Exploring post.
How can I join?
Participation is easy:
- Click HERE to request information about Leeds Fire & Rescue’s Explorers
- The local post Advisor will then be in touch with you regarding upcoming meetings
- Attend a meeting or activity
- Fill out the Youth Participation Form and pay the Participation Fee